Sunday, September 11, 2011

Season 1 Episode 8 ('What Are Little Girls Made Of?')

Back in the USSR! This one was another Cold War-story at its heart, with well intentioned true-believers attempting to turn us all into automatons to solve the eternal problems of the human condition, unable to comprehend that the freedom to do bad things is what makes us capable of greatness, etc., etc., and so on. Well done, though!

I should probably just get used to the fact that, generally speaking, the episodes with the titles that are most evocative of silly sex comedies are going to be the only ones that aren't silly sex comedies, I guess. Seeing the title to this one, I groaned, but it was solid and not so silly.

I would love to see some outtakes, though, for silly sex comedy reasons. The female android (spoiler alert! There are androids in this one!) must have fallen out of that top, at some point. And outside of her Dark Shadows hair, was absolutely gorgeous. Really, even with the hair, totally stunning. Reading that I found a female guest-star attractive can't possibly be interesting, so I suppose I should move on.

I BSOD'ed 3/4s of the way through this episode, and had to go through a big ole' rigamarole of rebooting once for shit to not work properly, and then rebooting again, to get back to where I'd left off, and I think I've forgotten a few of the things I wanted to mention, in the interregnum.

The basic plot: The Enterprise is delivering a nurse (is she the nurse character from a bunch of the previous episodes? I couldn't tell; certainly very similar looking, but man, half of these people look like everyone else in the show...) to her fiance, a 'medical archaeologist' who hasn't been heard from in years, and who two missions to find have failed to discover. Against all odds, he is there, only it turns out... he's discovered ancient alien technology for replicating people as androids, and he thinks it would be great for humanity if we replaced all the humans with robots.

I really enjoyed this one. I should probably just get used to the fact that, sadly, the things I was hoping for from Star Trek are just not going to happen most of the time, and most of the time I'm going to get cliched plots that are totally predictable to me because I've watched and read too much genre shit.

I wanted to see sci-fi quandaries examined, where it's not 'life and death' or 'the universe is on the line' or 'the ship is in danger' but just ethical and practical shit that can go in multiple ways and therefore isn't super predictable. This episode came closest so far to hitting that note, but as soon as I guessed that someone was a robot, all the pieces fell into place and it was impossible not to know exactly how it was all going to work out.

I think my expectations were too high. This is just a solid genre show, and since it was basically one of the first, a lot of the shit I find cliche now is probably shit that was groundbreaking, at the time. I'm gonna roll with it; I love cliched genre shit, it just wasn't what I was thinking I'd get with the most famous sci-fi TV show in the history of sci-fi.

Random stats: 6 vodka n' gingers, because I didn't want a repeat of last night's horrible heartburn/acid reflux situation, 2 Natty Lights because I wasn't done and was kind of sick of ginger ale, 1 absolutely beautiful female android with nicely noticeable nipples, 4 robots who hate illogical emotion, 1 Vulcan who is a little bothered by illogical emotion but doesn't seem to mind having to deal with it, and 8 episodes down, so I guess we're in this for the long haul.

No comments:

Post a Comment