Sunday, November 20, 2011

Season 1 Episode 25 ('The Devil In the Dark')

The Enterprise is sent to investigate a mining planet that's recently acquired a rather high mortality rate, in this one. It turns out a silicon-based lifeform is responsible. In a delightful turn of events, the Federation is able to make a deal with the thingy so it and its can live well, while the Feds can keep mining the shit they need.

There were a couple of things that stood out to me during this episode that I totally wanted to talk about but, to be honest, I've forgotten what they were. It was a solid ep, and it was nice that they were looking at non-carbon-based lifeforms (it may even have been amazing; it's hard for me to know exactly how cutting-edge this show was, coming at it 40 years later and having grown up on its offspring, but even now, you don't see a lot of TV rocking the non-carbon-based plot).

I think this may have been the first time I heard Bones say "I'm a doctor, now a(n) [x]" and that's a pretty significant milestone. The 'bad guy' was amazingly reminiscent of the dessert in that Monty Python ep that plays tennis with Scotland. It was nice that the plot resolved itself with advancing humanity and foreign-life-form finding a resolution that let both sides get what they wanted/needed.

I can't think of anything else to talk about.

Random trivia: 1 shot of Hendrick's gin, 1 shot of Clontarf, three shots of Elijah Craig 18-yr, one Schmirnoff (sp?) 100-proof root-beer & Pepsi Wild Cherry, three Canadian Club-plus-the-aforementioned-Pepsi-cherry, and three episodes watched on my Android phone rather than the computer. Honestly, after you get used to the screen-size (which takes like, a minute), it tends to be MORE engrossing. When I'm watching these on my PC, I find it really hard to not do other things, and keep getting side-tracked. Watching an ep on the phone, I'm just staring at the phone. It works out pretty well.

No comments:

Post a Comment